Dysfunction Resolved

The temporary dysfunction Grammar Captive’s custom search engines has been resolved, and they are now ready for the implementation of Grammar Captive’s, admittedly not unhackable, defense against search engine spam bots.

Related to the above dysfunction was another dysfunction that has also been repaired. Once again, you can discover Grammar Captive’s business model by clicking on Grammar Captive at https://www.nudge.online — the company responsible for Grammar Captive’s current development.


Apology & Next Step

Grammar Captive would like to apologize for the misleading link provided in its last post. Although the link lead to the proper page, the information that the page loaded was incorrect. This problem has been rectified, and you can verify the correction by looking to see that all of the Arab text is aligned right when the link is clicked.

Important progress has been made toward rectifying the problems associated with Grammar Captive’s word clouds. Of the three outstanding problems two have been resolved:

  1. Javascript’s inability to handle Arabic script automatically. (Solved)
  2. Wordcloud2’s inability to handle large amounts of data. (Solved)
  3. The spamming of Grammar Captives custom search engines. (Unsolved)

Although it was initially believed that Grammar Captive was spamming itself through improper use of Matomo, additional research suggests that the spamming originates from a third-party. As soon as the introduction of ImagelessCaptcha is introduced — hopefully by this week’s end, the source of the spamming should become clear.


Two Steps Forward

The stuttering scroll of the GC Tutor insert has been resolved. Apparently, the .animate( ) function is context sensitive and was triggering more functions than were necessary for the achievable task. You can see the correction in action by clicking first on https://tutor.grammarcaptive.com and then again on the phrase And, more … in the text that appears in the main panel of the Grammar Captive mainpage.

In addition, Grammar Captive’s new QR Box has proven to be very handy.

Today, while seated in a café, I asked a young Korean student to scan a copy of Grammar Captive’s QR Box that I had loaded as an item into iBooks on my SmartPhone. It took her directly to the GC Tutor webpage. When the webpage opened, she asked, “English tutor?”. I answered, “Yes” and thanked her for her help.

Without the QR Box things would not have been nearly as magical. Thank you, Chris Barnett, for the suggestion.


One Problem Solved, Two More Added

Have reformatted the GC Tutor panel insert accessed either from the navigation bar of the Grammar Captive mainpage, or from https://tutor.grammarcaptive.com.

Although, there is still a problem in the scrolling of the page, a solution does appear around the corner.

The new problems associated with the search engine and word clouds have yet to be resolved. Further exploration is required. They truly are a mystery for the moment.


GC Tutor

The GC Tutor webpage has undergone a minor transformation that leads to a much bigger transformation, if you follow its link. Soon the included flier will be posted around the UW campus and elsewhere.

Development requires sacrifice, but one must also maintain oneself until launch and somewhat beyond.

What makes the marketplace work so well is that doing good for others means doing good for you. Now, if we good only get the government to understand the concept!


A Long Week

Most languages are written from left to right. Arabic is written from right to left. Working with terms that are bidirectional — i.e., they can run in both directions in the same line of text — is a largely unexplored area on the internet. Alas, I have learned much, but am still unable to solve the problem of coordinating Matomo and Wordcloud2.js in a bidirectional text environment. And, I once thought it would be very easy ….

In preparation for the summer term at the University of Washington Grammar Captive has prepared a new flier to advertise GC Tutor. What is more, the GC subdomain and webpage are undergoing a face lift. Good progress has been made, and all is nearly ready to publish


nodejs10, npm, and xregexp

Grammar Captive has just made its first software installation with its newly installed node and npm software. The honored, hopefully permanent guest is xregexp@4.2.4.

xregexp.js will be used to help overcome some of the newly discovered problems brought about by the introduction of bidirectional text — in this case, Arabic and English — and the recently discovered spamming of Grammar Captive’s word clouds.